Monday, August 18, 2008

God's Patience (in His Mercy)

We find it so difficult to reject or say no to people. We use wrong ways to say it but we do not like to face people and do it. When we meet someone, we make up our minds whether we like those people or otherwise. We pass judgments on the people even without knowing them well. It is so easy for us to decide whom we like whom we don’t. Who is petulant and who is endearing, who is kind and who is rude, who is rash and who is reticent. We have our perceptions of people and treat them and respect them according to how we can avail of them in our lives and not what they are.


I then realized that God patiently tolerates all my behavior and remains silent. We rebuke people instantly when they err. We wish to correct people when they digress. We wish to silent people when they speak too much and hurt people when they hurt us.

All this time, God keeps silent with us. He does not silence us, rebuke or punish us or wish to send wrath so that we are taught a lesson for first removing the log out of the other’s eye. He gives us the freedom to do as I wish and waits until I will come around with my own will. Such is God’s respect for my freedom. How much more mercy and compassion I need from God. How much more mercy I need from God for always not giving up on me and being patient with me even when I am not patient with others.

I can never imagine how much contrite I have to be but I know that more than that I need God’s mercy for what I am. I can change but not so much as to not avail of God’s mercy or to make his mercy something that is extravagant and a reserve. I am saved as God is merciful when I am not so with the world. Oh! How I need to forgiveness for this and yet God is merciful.